Keeping Up with the Joneses

A glimpse into the busy and very blessed life of the Jones Family!

Friday, January 11, 2013

Tonsillectomy surgery

A week ago today, Blake underwent the dreaded tonsillectomy surgery. He also had his adenoids removed and his 3rd set of tubes placed.

We love our doctor and felt very confident that this would be a great outcome, but knew it would be a tough recovery. Hunter has the same surgery 2 years ago and it took about 10 days of laying around and taking pain meds around the clock before he started to feel better. Needless to say, we were prepared for the worst.

We checked in at North Central Baptist at 12 on Friday. It was a cold, cold rainy day. We we're called back to pre-op pretty quickly and Blake played with his new Iron Man toy and Spiderman he brought. He didn't want to wear the hospital gown but we finally managed to convince him to.

At 2:30, after a little happy cocktail, they rolled him back. We were called back to recovery after Dr. M came out and spoke with us about the surgery. He said Blake did great- they cleaned out his ears (esp the right one that has yeast again) and did the tubes. Then he said the adenoids were growing into the nasal passages, so he was pleased he got those. The tonsils were an easy removal he said.

When we went back to see Blake, he was very agitated. He cried and was very uncomfortable. They gave him 2 doses of morphine for the pain and he dozed off. When he woke up he drank apple juice , had 4 popsicles and another juice. We moved up to his room to stay overnight at 6:30.

We had to order his dinner ASAP to be able to get it. He ended up eating Mac and cheese, noodle soup, pudding and chocolate ice cream. All of it!

He stayed awake and was happy with drinks, Popsicles, etc. we even got him up and walked around a bit.

He woke once in the night (12:30) for pain meds and was crying in pain then. He then slept until past 7.

We ordered a Popsicle and ice cream before breakfast, walked around and eventually he got his breakfast tray and ate. He did so amazing!

Since being home, he has done incredibly. Not the fussing, pitiful feeling I thought he would have- he's been the opposite. We have to remind him to slow down. He's been like normal.

I am so happy he's had a smooth recovery so far. He's been one tough little guy!

On our hot chocolate date 6 days post surgery.

No comments: